About the blog:

Well, hello!
Thanks for stopping by to read my opinions about movies that I see. Some are older and most are new. Some I go to see in the theaters (both live performances and movies) and some I watch from the comfort of my own couch and even more, I will watch from the amazing Netflix app.
Of course, these will be my personal thoughts about the targeted item, however, it will give you an idea of whether it's a colossal waste of time or worth a shot!

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

The Sacrament

GENERAL INFORMATION
Release Info: 1 May 2014

     Netflix on 31 Aug 2016
Writer and Director: Ti West (Known for V/H/S, The House of the Devil and The Innkeepers)
Running Time: 99 Minutes
Rating? R
SPOILERS? YES

REVIEWS
IMDB: 6.1 of 10
MY RATING: 2

STORYLINE
Journalist Patrick (Kentucker Audley) works at the VICE, a company dedicated to cover bizarre news. When his sister Caroline (Amy Seimetz) joins a community, she travels abroad with her new family. Out of the blue, Caroline invites her brother to visit her in an undefined country and Patrick travels by helicopter with his friends Jake (Joe Swanberg)and Sam (AJ Bowen) that work with him at VICE. They find weird that the men that have come to guide them to the Eden Parish have guns. On the arrival to the camp, Patrick, Sam and Jake find a community of happy people that worship Father. (Gene Jones) They interview Father but soon they realize that people are not as happy as they seem to be. Further, they find that they are trapped in the Parish Eden and they want to leave the place with the newcomers. But the Father does not have intention to let them go.

MY REVIEW
I am a student of history and specifically interested in the history of crime and criminals. This leads to me the heart of my review. This is nothing more than reimagining an actual horrific event. About 10 minutes in, I was well aware that this was going to be a Jonestown facsimile. I feel like this was deliberately retold in THIS specific way to introduce the altered storyline to a younger audience.  This is truly ineffective as a horror thriller.

What I DID LIKE about this movie:
  • Nothing really redeeming about this movie. Not even any eye-candy for me to lust after!
What I DID NOT LIKE about this movie:
  • This story was frightening enough on it's own. For me, I just found the story too obvious. I could see the twists before they even were shown on the screen. I think it's because I know the story of Jonestown.
  • Shaky-cam SUCKS!!
On a more personal note..... Got up this morning and noticed that baby Rocket J. has gotten soon big. He was drinking water next to Jinxie and he just didn't look like the little 7 month old baby that he used to be yesterday! Then, I got ready and went to have a spot of lunch with my bestie, Missy at the Hair of the Dog Eatery. I had an amazing buffalo chicken sandwich and she had chicken and waffles with candied bacon. I don't think either of us will be hungry for dinner. THEN, got a little something for my hair.. PINK HIGHLIGHTS!! So fun!! And finally, I finished this piece yesterday! I am getting better at face coloration and shapes. Hopefully, I can keep it up! I've been 
enjoying the distraction!!
SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment