About the blog:

Well, hello!
Thanks for stopping by to read my opinions about movies that I see. Some are older and most are new. Some I go to see in the theaters (both live performances and movies) and some I watch from the comfort of my own couch and even more, I will watch from the amazing Netflix app.
Of course, these will be my personal thoughts about the targeted item, however, it will give you an idea of whether it's a colossal waste of time or worth a shot!

Friday, August 19, 2016

Lights Out

GENERAL INFORMATION
Release Info: 22 July 2016
Director: David F. Sandberg
Writer: Eric Heisserer and David F. Sandberg
Running Time: 81 Minutes
Rating? PG-13
SPOILERS? NOPE

REVIEWS
IMDB: 6.8 of 10
MY RATING: 7

STORYLINE
When Rebecca left home, she thought she left her childhood fears behind. Growing up, she was never really sure of what was and wasn't real when the lights went out...and now her little brother, Martin, is experiencing the same unexplained and terrifying events that had once tested her sanity and threatened her safety. A frightening entity with a mysterious attachment to their mother, Sophie, has reemerged. But this time, as Rebecca gets closer to unlocking the truth, there is no denying that all their lives are in danger...once the lights go out.

MY REVIEW
I generally dislike modern horror, or the things that directors attempt to pass off as horror these days. I did not leave the theater laughing with this one. I was pleasantly surprised. I will do everything in my power to NOT give away any spoilers. It's very difficult to scare me and this one actually had me in goosebumps at least three times. The MAIN reason that I wanted to PAY actual money and see this in the theater were the short films created by director David F. Sandberg (LA Times article)

What I DID LIKE about this movie:
  • The premise was interesting and original. It was definitely a new take on the typical ghost story and I really appreciated it.
  • The cinematography and the films take on the bad guy. Amazing.
  • It plays on MY childhood fear of the dark. I for one used to take out the trash in two leaps past sundown!!
  • I am not typically a fan of kids in horror movies, but Gabriel Bateman was excellent. He played the part with real acting skills that are not known to child actors. Bravo kid. Bravo.
What I DID NOT LIKE about this movie:
  • I understand that certain things are done in order to further the plot quickly, but there was a certain part where some data was found WAY too quickly and it just seemed to silly.
  • The writing could have been a little better. Not that it was horrible, just underwhelming.
On a more personal note... I had a pretty freaking fantastic day today! I started off with a pretty awesome hair day. It's not every day that I get it to lay JUST right, and today was the day!! Yay massive amounts of hair product!  It's finally growing long again after cutting it in February. So, needed to take a little selfie to acknowledge the moment!!  I also finished another drawing this afternoon. I've been in a little bit of a Dia de Los Muertos kick ever since I started researching Sugar Skulls for my quarter sleeve tattoo that I am starting in a few months. AND Finally, here is a pic of my legs at the theater tonight about to see THIS movie! We were the only ones in the theater!!
SaveSaveSaveSave
SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment