About the blog:

Well, hello!
Thanks for stopping by to read my opinions about movies that I see. Some are older and most are new. Some I go to see in the theaters (both live performances and movies) and some I watch from the comfort of my own couch and even more, I will watch from the amazing Netflix app.
Of course, these will be my personal thoughts about the targeted item, however, it will give you an idea of whether it's a colossal waste of time or worth a shot!

Friday, August 5, 2016

The Purge: Election Year

GENERAL INFORMATION
Release Info: 1 July 2016
     Watched 5 August 2016
Writer and Director: James DeMonaco
Running Time: 205 Minutes
Rating? R
SPOILERS? YES

REVIEWS
IMDB: 6.2 of 10
MY RATING: 4

STORYLINE
It's been two years since Leo Barnes (Frank Grillo) stopped himself from a regrettable act of revenge on Purge Night. Now serving as head of security for Senator Charlie Roan (Elizabeth Mitchell), his mission is to protect her in a run for president and survive the annual ritual that targets the poor and innocent. But when a betrayal forces them onto the streets of D.C. on the one night when no help is available, they must stay alive until dawn...or both be sacrificed for their sins against the state.

MY REVIEW
So, the first Purge told the story of a family and their attempt to survive the annual Purge. The second was pretty good and was really the telling of an all-night adventure with some lack-luster ideas, but still good.  Had high hopes for the third installment, and was let down. Most of the performances are well done however the weak character maturity is the ultimate downfall. This is not a horror movie by any means.

What I DID LIKE about this movie:
  • The IDEA of the story. Senator with good ideas trying to take control from people who have no respect for the PEOPLE!
What I DID NOT LIKE about this movie:
  • In the first act, the scenes with the thieving schoolgirls falls flat. Leading into the second act where the girl shows back up at the store after saying that she killed her parents to "get revenge" on the store owner sho stopped her from stealing a candy bar? Please! That is so weak that I just can't explain. Shaking my head! It was merely to show some pretty girls in some trashy outfits, which I can definitely get behind in most cases, but this was dumb! 
  • Absolute rubbish for character development. We know Leo Barnes (Frank Grillo) who was in the second and we are well aware of his story. Everyone else is just trash! Specifically, the store clerk who is repeatedly heard saying how bad the Purge is and how it should and he wants nothing to do with it, summarily executes six teenagers with no hesitation.
  • Seemed like the "Purgers" were more ganglike (A'la the Warriors) and not the original handful of people just killing for fun like the last two movies. 
  • The idea of "Tourist-Murder". Did not like that at all. 
On a more personal note..... Did a lot today for a Friday! I spent some time at 1701VB Co-Working Space. It's nice to have a space to collaborate with others and work with some amazing people while job-hunting. I am so proud of my friend Lisa who has spent years sharing her great ideas and it's absolutely amazing to see this one come to fruition! I am so happy to see her success! After that, had lunch with some of the greatest people on the planet (Missy, Chris and Cole, well and Chris' son Sheamus was a highlight!) I don't think there is a better group of people to enjoy sushi with!! Lastly, I hung out with baby Rocket. He was helping me play the QuizUp Trivia game. By helping, I mean trying to grab the mouse pointer on the screen. He's super cute, but not so helpful! I actually believe that he's made me lose a few times! I love him anyway!

SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment