About the blog:

Well, hello!
Thanks for stopping by to read my opinions about movies that I see. Some are older and most are new. Some I go to see in the theaters (both live performances and movies) and some I watch from the comfort of my own couch and even more, I will watch from the amazing Netflix app.
Of course, these will be my personal thoughts about the targeted item, however, it will give you an idea of whether it's a colossal waste of time or worth a shot!

Tuesday, November 20, 2018

The Breakfast Club

RATINGS
IMDB: 7.9
MY RATING: 9

GENERAL INFORMATION
Release Info:  15 Feb 1985
   Netflix 20 Nov 2018
Genre: Comedy, Drama
Writer and Director: John Hughes
Running Time: 1 Hour and 37 minutes
Rating? R
SPOILERS? YES

STORYLINE
Five high school students meet in Saturday detention and discover how they have a lot more in common than they thought.

MY REVIEW
This movie never gets old. John Hughes had one of the single greatest grasps of the human condition and this in particular, the teenager. His films will resonate with anyone no matter where you grew up and to which clique you belonged.  I won't even use the system of "Like" and "Didn't Like" because there's not really much that I don't love.

John Hughes as the writer and director is brilliant. I love how he used the five teens as a cross section of youth of the time. The Jock, the Princess, the Nerd, the Criminal and the Basket Case. You see yourself in one or more and this film reminds you that it's okay to color outside of the lines. The other fact, more subtle though, is that you are in your groups and these groups are all too often inescapable.

The lesson that we learn in the span of the movie is that each was sent to detention for a reason that they eventually share and even though they are so different, they are the same. They struggle with their own demons and eventually find ties that bind them together. I cannot watch this movie without the story in my head is Claire (Molly Ringwald) and Bender (Judd Nelson) getting married.

I like the music but the Simple Minds song at the ned, Don't You (Forget About Me) stays with you!! LOVE!!!

And then there is the EPIC last scene with Bender (Judd Nelson) walking away with his fist raised while we are listening to the essay that Brian (Anthony Michael Hall) has written for the group.

On a more personal note..... 
Came home today to a pretty sweet surprise from my husband, a Star Wars themed necklace! Super adorable. Also, speaking of adorable, This is Jinx andLord Oliver Cromwell napping on the couch!

No comments:

Post a Comment