About the blog:

Well, hello!
Thanks for stopping by to read my opinions about movies that I see. Some are older and most are new. Some I go to see in the theaters (both live performances and movies) and some I watch from the comfort of my own couch and even more, I will watch from the amazing Netflix app.
Of course, these will be my personal thoughts about the targeted item, however, it will give you an idea of whether it's a colossal waste of time or worth a shot!

Friday, November 2, 2018

1922

MY RATING: 8

GENERAL INFORMATION
Release Info: 20 October 2017
     Netflix 2 Nov 2018 
Genre:Crime, Drama, Horror
Director:Zak Hilditch
Writer:Stephen King
Running Time: 1 Hour and 42 Minutes 
Rating? TV-MA
SPOILERS? NO

STORYLINE
A simple yet proud farmer in the year 1922 conspires to murder his wife for financial gain, convincing his teenage son to assist. But their actions have unintended consequences.

MY REVIEW
1922 is a slow and deliberate look at guilt and consequences. This movie is rich in character development and heavy in a suspense. One can see influences of Edgar Allan Poe here with nods to "The Tell Tale Heart" and "The Black Cat." I've always been a big fan of stories that are told by one of the characters.

What I DID LIKE about this movie:
  • Thomas Jane as husband to Arlette (Molly Parker) and father to Henry (Dylan Schmid) is quite possibly my favorite part of this whole movie. His dedication to the 1920's farmer persona was refreshing. He's overbearing as a father and in his attempts to control his wife. Arlette seems to not want to be controlled and that is very odd for a wife in that time.
  • This movie will F&*$ with you psychologically.  In the beginning, we hear Thomas Jane's character Wilfred James speak the words "In the end, we all get caught." How perfect were these words once you get to the end of the movie. This theme did resonate with me. You can't hide from deeds in your past. They always catch up to you. ALWAYS. In one way or another, they peep out and catch you when you least expect.
  • The plot begins dark and spirals down a dark path that continues to become even darker than one would think possible. 
What I DID NOT LIKE about this movie:
  • Once the story was defined, it was somewhat predictable. 
  • I was set in 1922. Everyone looks too clean. I mean for real, at that time, everyone was taking baths once a week and greasy hair as the norm. Henry always looked too clean! Could have been a little more realistic with the attire. 14 year old farm kids did not wear pressed shirts to school.

No comments:

Post a Comment