About the blog:

Well, hello!
Thanks for stopping by to read my opinions about movies that I see. Some are older and most are new. Some I go to see in the theaters (both live performances and movies) and some I watch from the comfort of my own couch and even more, I will watch from the amazing Netflix app.
Of course, these will be my personal thoughts about the targeted item, however, it will give you an idea of whether it's a colossal waste of time or worth a shot!

Sunday, November 4, 2018

Don Giovanni

GENERAL INFORMATION
View Date and Location:
4 Nov 2018 at the Harrison Opera House in Norfolk, VA
Premiere Date: 29 Oct 1787 in Prague
Language: Italian
Composer: Mozart

Virginia Opera:
Director: Lillian Groag
Conductor: Adam Turner

STORYLINE
This is a two-act opera written by Mozart that is based on the legends of Don Juan, a fictional seducer of women. 

MY REVIEW
What I really love about the Harrison and the Virginia Opera is that before every performance is a 30 minute introduction to the themes and music and a little lesson about the opera itself. That really makes the music more enjoyable. There is a sense of understanding that you get when you can hear the music beforehand and know that when you hear a certain piece, to watch for something. Love this!

This was a well directed and well performed opera. Don't get me wrong, I know that the opera is ABOUT Don Giovanni (Tobias Greenhalgh), so he is the star, but the star for me was Leporello (Zachary Altman) He played the Don's servant with such a sense of humor that it was fun to watch him. He stole the stage for me.

I do identify with Donna Elvira (Sarah Larsen) as she is not only seduced once, but falls for his sweet words over and over again. I get it.

I was dismayed with the supertitles at the Harrison. That's the small screen that is displayed for the non-Italian speakers. My Italian was good enough to keep up, so it wasn't that bad for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment