About the blog:

Well, hello!
Thanks for stopping by to read my opinions about movies that I see. Some are older and most are new. Some I go to see in the theaters (both live performances and movies) and some I watch from the comfort of my own couch and even more, I will watch from the amazing Netflix app.
Of course, these will be my personal thoughts about the targeted item, however, it will give you an idea of whether it's a colossal waste of time or worth a shot!

Friday, September 16, 2016

Blair Witch

GENERAL INFORMATION
Release Info: 16 September 2016
Director: Adam Wingard
Writer: Simon Barrett
     Both known for V/H/S & You're Next (my reviews)
Running Time: 89 Minutes
Rating? R
SPOILERS? NO

REVIEWS
IMDB: 5.8 of 10
MY RATING: 6

STORYLINE
After discovering a video showing what he believes to be his sister's experience in the demonic woods of the Blair Witch, James and a group of friends head to the forest in search of his lost sibling, Heather.

MY REVIEW
This was not a bad movie. It wasn't great either. I think it falls short in some places and excels in others. The original Blair Witch Project came out in 1999 and in that short 17 years most everyone has gotten over the "found footage" and grown annoyed by the shaky-cam style of film-making. I am in that group. I think this was less of a sequel and more of a redux.  If you are going to see this movie, go see it in the theaters, the big shots and the sound design is best experienced in this setting. But know this.. If you're going in expecting a new and original movie, that is NOT what you are going to get.

What I DID LIKE about this movie:
  • This was a slow build to some pretty decent scares. I think that taking time to let the audience get to know the cast and develop themselves into complete people was a wise choice. (Still, some of this was cliche, see below)
  • The forest was well used as a character instead of a setting. It was dense and really set the idea that finding the way out would be an issue. The woods are inhumanly quiet at times leaving a very uneasy feeling.
  • The sound design was AMAZING!
  • There is a scene, which I will not specify, that left me holding tight to the chair, taking deep breaths because of the claustrophobically spectacular events. It did go on a bit too long for me, but it was amazing!
  • I loved  James Allen McCune's character, James. He did a brilliant job. 
What I DID NOT LIKE about this movie:
  • Cliche!! There was just a little too much for me in some parts. Like seriously, the idea that the first person to talk shit about the supposed ghost/witch is the first guy to die. That's like the prerequisite for every horror more, EVER!!
  • A few too many jump scares for the simple fact of adding in a scare. Unnecessary.
  • Hold the god-damed camera steady people!
On a more personal note..... Baby Dexter was adorable, again! I put on a ton of make up and did my hair all fancy to go to this movie... AND finally finished my first commissioned piece! Finished the matting tonight and will deliver tomorrow and get paid for art for the first time!!


No comments:

Post a Comment