About the blog:

Well, hello!
Thanks for stopping by to read my opinions about movies that I see. Some are older and most are new. Some I go to see in the theaters (both live performances and movies) and some I watch from the comfort of my own couch and even more, I will watch from the amazing Netflix app.
Of course, these will be my personal thoughts about the targeted item, however, it will give you an idea of whether it's a colossal waste of time or worth a shot!

Friday, August 21, 2015

Sinister 2

GENERAL INFORMATION
Release Info: 21 August 2015
Sequel to: Sinister October 2012 Review HERE
Running Time: 97 Minutes
Staring:  Shannyn Sossamon is the only one that I have ever even heard of before!
Rating? R
SPOILERS? YES

REVIEWS
IMDB: 5.6 of 10
Rotten Tomatoes: Critics: 12% Audience: 46%
MY RATING: 2!

STORYLINE
Following the events from the first film, a different family (mother and her two sons) move into a rural house that's marked for death. When the deputy from the first firm, now a paid private investigator, learns that the family is next in line to fall to the demon Bughuul, he races to stop it from happening.

MY REVIEW:
Let me begin by saying that I did like the first one. I gave it a 7 of 10. That being said, this may be one of the worst movies I have seen in theaters since "Unfriended." Let me explain:

The main character, whim I never even really found a need to learn his name, is ridiculous! His lackluster personality made his screen-time less than interesting. He seemed like he just did't get why he was there. The kids were utterly annoying. Yes, I don't like children much anyway, but these kids were really low on the theatrically trained scale. They really needed less screen time!  The Mom, played by Shannyn Sossamon, was just a placeholder. She read the lines and acted, but I don't think she was the right fit for this character.

Bughuul-- The first movie at least let him be scary! He was in the shadows and hardly ever seen. He was IN THIS MOVIE like 45 minutes too much. He looked like Michael Jackson wearing a Slipknot mask. He is menacing, I 100% agree, but he loses the potency with the significant screen time.

I think they just threw a bunch of successful scary movie ideas in a bag, such as Children of the Corn, Saw, etc and drew a few and tossed them on a story board. The plot seems trite... a bunch of dead kids try to get a living kid to watch a bunch of snuff films to desensitize him enough to kill his family. The story relies so heavily on "jump scares" that it's nearing the point of expected scares. I'm not saying that it's not unsettling, because it is! So, we're dealing with the supernatural AND the dysfunctional family of the separated mom and abusive dad and their dumb kids. But never the two actually made a cohesive story. I just kept thinking that the writer and director of this movie had fallen asleep watching Children of the Corn.

It's predictable and poorly executed.

No comments:

Post a Comment