About the blog:

Well, hello!
Thanks for stopping by to read my opinions about movies that I see. Some are older and most are new. Some I go to see in the theaters (both live performances and movies) and some I watch from the comfort of my own couch and even more, I will watch from the amazing Netflix app.
Of course, these will be my personal thoughts about the targeted item, however, it will give you an idea of whether it's a colossal waste of time or worth a shot!

Saturday, August 8, 2015

The Gift

GENERAL INFORMATION
Release Info: 7 August 2015
Running Time: 108 Minutes
Staring:  Jason Bateman, Rebecca Hall and Joel Edgerton
Rating? R
SPOILERS? NO

Just Because You're Done With The Past Doesn't Mean The Past Is Done With You.

REVIEWS
IMDB: 7.8 of 10
Rotten Tomatoes: Critics: 92% Audience: 82%
MY RATING: 8 of 10 :)

MY REVIEW:
This was a surprisingly good movie. I was not expecting the psychological joyride that came with this movie.

Simon {Jason Bateman} and his wife Robyn {Rebecca Hall} move back to the locale where Simon grew up and in a chance encounter run into an old classmate of his, Gordon {Joel Edgerton}. That's when it all goes wonky!

It's a very cerebral thriller that is both complex and classy. Elegant. When I saw the trailer, I was pretty sure I could see exactly where this would go. I'm pretty good at that! Boy, was I wrong. This film is filled with intentional smoke-screens, reversal of circumstances, multiple perspectives, and all of the moral ambiguity that defines this movie. It's layered, nuanced and surprising.

If I had to give it one little criticism, it would be that the exposition is very slow and the final act leaves more questions that I would typically like in a movie. I like things to be tied up into a pretty bow and this one left unfinished business. Maybe they are setting up a sequel, but it's unlikely.

It's a good movie. Don't take the kids and and PAY ATTENTION!!

No comments:

Post a Comment