About the blog:

Well, hello!
Thanks for stopping by to read my opinions about movies that I see. Some are older and most are new. Some I go to see in the theaters (both live performances and movies) and some I watch from the comfort of my own couch and even more, I will watch from the amazing Netflix app.
Of course, these will be my personal thoughts about the targeted item, however, it will give you an idea of whether it's a colossal waste of time or worth a shot!

Saturday, October 8, 2016

The Girl on the Train

GENERAL INFORMATION
Release Info: 7 October 2016 
     Lynnhaven AMC on the 8th.
Director: Tate Taylor
Writer: Erin Cressida Wilson (Screenplay)
Based on the novel by Paula Hawkins

If you have not read the book, I beg you, please go read the book before watching this movie! No, you don't NEED to, but I think it will make the changes THAT much better!

Running Time: 112 Minutes
Rating? R
SPOILERS? NO, because you should see this!

REVIEWS
IMDB: 6.7 of 10
MY RATING: 8

STORYLINE
This is the story of Rachel Watson's life post-divorce. Every day, she takes the train in to work in New York, and every day the train passes by her old house. The house she lived in with her husband, who still lives there, with his new wife and child. As she attempts to not focus on her pain, she starts watching a couple who live a few houses down -- Megan and Scott Hipwell. She creates a wonderful dream life for them in her head, about how they are a perfect happy family. And then one day, as the train passes, she sees something shocking, filling her with rage. The next day, she wakes up with a horrible hangover, various wounds and bruises, and no memory of the night before. She has only a feeling: something bad happened. Then come the TV reports: Megan Hipwell is missing. Rachel becomes invested in the case and trying to find out what happened to Megan, where she is, and what exactly she herself was up to that same night Megan went missing.


MY REVIEW
Although it had some hiccups, this was a brilliant movie. I thoroughly enjoyed the entire film and was pleasantly surprised with the modifications made from book to movie. I thought that the casting was well-done. The piece that I loved, and this will not give anything away, was the story-telling piece that we nee Rachel Watson (Emily Blunt) do while she is on the train. I myself play this game while bored in the car!  Loved that!

What I DID LIKE about this movie:
  • This movie has some pieces that are so reminiscent to real life that they are haunting. It deals with issues such as alcoholism, paranoia, infidelity, obsession, envy, lust, abortion and so much more. 
  • Loved the twisty-turny nature of the book and they were able to bring it to the film. 
  • Emily Blunt IS Rachel Watson. She took that character and made it her own. Wonderful! 
  • Most of the remainder of the cast: Justin Theroux, Luke Evans (mmmm, Luke Evans), Allison Janney and Rebecca Ferguson. They were amazing and I loved their nuanced and interesting portrayals of them.
  • I loved having the pieces, one by one, revealed a little, then a little more until finally, there is a sense of closure that is just then ripped away!
What I DID NOT LIKE about this movie:
  • Scrambled chronology does not do it for me here. There is so much that was retold and seemed to be edited along the way. I usually enjoy when stories are told in an awkward reverse to reveal things that we didn't know. But this really didn't settle well with me.
  • Just a bit more of the book from the ending would have been awesome!


On a more personal note..... On Monday, we went to Breakout again and WE DID IT AGAIN!! We broke out of the Kidnapping Scenario with 5 minutes to spare!! (Back row is Taylor, Me, Scott and Jon and kneeling is Ami and Chris) Wednesday there is a pic of baby Rocket! He's getting so big!! I love his little face! And finally from today, I am about 65% done with printing a castle on my 3-D Printer!! so fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment