About the blog:

Well, hello!
Thanks for stopping by to read my opinions about movies that I see. Some are older and most are new. Some I go to see in the theaters (both live performances and movies) and some I watch from the comfort of my own couch and even more, I will watch from the amazing Netflix app.
Of course, these will be my personal thoughts about the targeted item, however, it will give you an idea of whether it's a colossal waste of time or worth a shot!

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Creep

GENERAL INFORMATION
Release Info: 23 June 2015
Running Time: 1 hour 22 Minutes
Staring:  Patrick Brice and Mark Duplass
Rating? R
SPOILERS? Yes, sorry about that!

REVIEWS
IMDB: 6.2 of 10
MY RATING: 9
(almost gave it a 10)


STORYLINE
When a videographer answers a Craigslist ad for a one-day job in a remote mountain town, he finds his client is not at all what he initially seems.

MY REVIEW:

I love wolves. because they love deeply, but they don't 
know how to express it, and they're often very violent and, quite frankly, murder the things that they love, and inside of the wolf is this beautiful heart.--Josef

That line stood out to me. Loved it!! I am happy that I watched this movie. I quite nearly didn't. It's a little gem that I found in a sea of garbage that is typically available in the Horror/Thriller genre. So the idea of this movie was pretty unique.  A freelance videographer gets a job to go film a man in his everyday life for 8 hours for $1000.00. The strait forward plot is the films strongest aspect.

You learn about both of these guys along the way, and they have a bizarre chemistry between them.
Josef and Aaron are awesome as the Creepy odd couple that got me hooked from the first minute.

Mark Duplass played this role to perfection as he slowly let out the crazy in the smallest increments where at certain points, it was indeterminate if he were really crazy. You don't see many performances like this in found footage films. Brice’s character has a little less to work with but he plays the part well. I wasn't always convinced that his actions in certain situations were believable. I mean, there are red flags all over the place and he still sticks with the guy. They do incorporate his trusting personality and nice guy attitude in to his actions. He's just a guy that feels bad for Josef and wants to give him the benefit of the doubt. The situation twists and turns through the whole film, and there are some genuine scares and creepy moments throughout. 

What I loved?
  • Black Humor. There are some seriously hilarious moments but the movie never loses its sense of tension. I've seen the idea of the creepy stalker in so many movies in the past: Hand that Rocks the Cradle, The Cable Guy... This one really sets the viewer on the edge for the whole movie.
  • The Actors: Josef played by Mark Duplass (from such gems as The League, Safety Not Guaranteed and Zero Dark Thirty) and Aaron pled by Patrick Brice (THAT GUY  -----> I do love a gingery-blond!!) I had never really heard of him until this movie was he was amazing! They were able to make it watchable and uncomfortable at the same time. It was an effective way to keep the Creep in this creepy movie. PLUS, he was the director!
  • I love how this movie expects more from the average horror movie fan. This required thought and attention that most do not. I enjoyed not being led through a movie but having to lead myself through. I found that quite attractive.
  • Found-footage style WITHOUT the shaky cam!! (Thanks!)
  • The END!! I absolutely loved the climax. It was so simple and yet had such an amazing impact on the film that it was near perfect!! (Maybe Creep 2?)

What I did not love?
  • Just wish the pacing were a little smoother. It's a simple plot, but it does at times feel a bit rough, but that could just be me!


The suspense is so delightfully intense and the performances are so well fleshed out, that the pacing can be forgiven. This is a top notch found footage film that truly made my skin crawl. Kudos to the film maker for deciding to simply call it Creep. Perfect title
SaveSaveSaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment