About the blog:

Well, hello!
Thanks for stopping by to read my opinions about movies that I see. Some are older and most are new. Some I go to see in the theaters (both live performances and movies) and some I watch from the comfort of my own couch and even more, I will watch from the amazing Netflix app.
Of course, these will be my personal thoughts about the targeted item, however, it will give you an idea of whether it's a colossal waste of time or worth a shot!

Friday, October 10, 2014

The Houses October Built

GENERAL INFORMATION
Release Info: 10 October 2014 
Genre: Horror, Thriller
Director: Bobby Roe
Writer:Zack Andrews and Bobby Roe
Running Time:  91 Minutes
Rating? NOT RATED
SPOILERS? YES

REVIEWS
IMDB: 5 of 10
MY RATING: 3 of 10

STORYLINE
Beneath the fake blood and cheap masks of countless haunted house attractions across the country, there are whispers of trust terrifying alternatives. Looking to find an authentic, blood-curdling good fright for Halloween, five friends set off on a road trip in an RV to track down these underground haunts. Just when their search seems to reach a dead end, strange and disturbing things start happening and it becomes clear that the Haunt has come to them...

MY REVIEW
I should know better to watch an UNRATED horror movie expecting anything other than a pre-teen scare for slumber parties! Not a complete and utter failure, but it was damn close!!

Everything about this movie is just a hair away from being too cliche and too predictable. The plot had a great idea and failed to bring it to life. Seeing as how I have an irrational fear of clowns, this was disturbing solely on that factor, but if you're not like me, then this will likely fall very flat. Maybe with a a bigger budget, a re-write, and a few known actors, AND A COMPETENT ending... this may have worked.

What I DID LIKE about this movie:
  • DIRECTION- While certain aspects of the Director's work are good,  it's not PERFECT and it's not terrible. Could have spent a little more time coaching the actors to get a good or better performance. I needed to bring at least one good thing to the review!
  • COSTUME DESIGN- THIS! This was pretty good. Like I say above, I am not a big fan of clowns and therefore just really don't want to look. The makeup department responsible for the make-up, masks and special effects was beyond amazing. Afton Adams, Christian Lau and  David Monzingo. You guys deserve come major credit for creating the most disturbing character design in this porcelain doll make-up shown here. Wow, just wow. David Monzingo has a laundry list of special effects gold under his belt and they were lucky to have him.
  • SET DESIGN- Creepy, but generic. Acceptable.
What I DID NOT LIKE about this movie:
  • EDITING- I spent the first hour waiting semi-patiently for something to happen. It's a simple rule of three acts and by the end of the second, you have to see some sort of high point to come down from by the mid-point of act three. That was missing for me here. I waited for a tediously and DULL ending! 
  • CINEMATOGRAPHY- I DESPISE SHAKY CAM!! Seriously, should have just dumped that idea and hired a real gaffer and camera man and made a better/ stronger movie with a great ending!
  • WRITING- Well, much like my points above, it was a great idea that fell short. Could have been so much better. Again, this is my opinion! It felt like they should have just made a documentary about haunted houses, but wait, the writer and director did that already did that. Nice try Bobby Roe, how about you stick to baseball.
  • SCORE/SOUNDTRACK- forgettable.

No comments:

Post a Comment