About the blog:

Well, hello!
Thanks for stopping by to read my opinions about movies that I see. Some are older and most are new. Some I go to see in the theaters (both live performances and movies) and some I watch from the comfort of my own couch and even more, I will watch from the amazing Netflix app.
Of course, these will be my personal thoughts about the targeted item, however, it will give you an idea of whether it's a colossal waste of time or worth a shot!

Saturday, June 11, 2016

The Conjuring 2


GENERAL INFORMATION
Release Info: 10 June 2016
Director: James Wan
Writer: Carey Hayes and Chad Hayes
Running Time: 2 Hours and 14 Minutes
Rating? R
SPOILERS? Yes, sorry about that!

REVIEWS
IMDB: 8 of 10
MY RATING: 4

STORYLINE
In 1977, paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren travel to London, England, where single mother Peggy Hodgson believes that something evil is in her home. When Peggy's youngest daughter starts showing signs of demonic possession, Ed and Lorraine attempt to help the besieged girl, only to find themselves targeted by the malicious spirits.

MY REVIEW
I'd like to begin with stating the obvious. I LOVE horror movies, the scarier the better. What I have never been a big fan of are the ones that boast the tagline-- "Based on a True Story." I absolutely, positively HATE that!! I have been interested in the paranormal and all things that make the claim of haunted for as long as I can remember. Not for the obvious reasons, mind you, but for one that is not. I do not believe in ghosts, spirits etc. I am curious about those who claim to be living in thee types of situations and the ones who make money exploiting them. I have NEVER seen a credible piece of evidence that CANNOT be explained by some sort of version of Occam's Razor.  I feel like that needed to be said before you read my review, because a lot of the things that I dislike are perpetuated within this movie.

What I DID LIKE about this movie:
  • I do give James Wan directoral prowess a nod for the decision to blur Janet's face in the scene where Patrick Wilson tries to have a chat with the ghost of old man Bill. That was brilliant. I think that was most likely the one pure perfection that the movie had for this viewer!
What I DID NOT LIKE about this movie:
  • I'd like to begin with the blatant and mind-numbingly direct marketing pitch for what I can only assume is the Conjuring 3 which may appear in Theaters as soon as they're done raking in the dough from this one. The Amityville house in which Ed and Lorraine Warren were shown visiting was a KNOWN hoax and they continued to claim the opposite even after the family who made the claims recanted and admitted that they made the whole thing up. Yes, it was the site of a horrible tragedy where an entire family lost their lives, but haunted, I think not. It has nothing to do with the supposed Enfield Poltergeist other than the inclusion of the demon hunting Jesus-freaks, the Warrens. {Amityville Debunked} {Times Ed and Lorraine Warren were proven as Frauds}
  • I am a huge fan of jump scares and whomever happens to go to the movie with me during those scenes is gonna get a pretty good squeeze because even though I can see them coming a mile away, I am still gonna jump. Guaranteed. What I did not like was that each jump scare was accompanied by odd musical timing or some sort of loud noise that just made it too much.
  • As an atheist, I think the overuse of the idea that evil can be combated with pure and true religion just grates on my nerves. Too many crucifixes. The idea that the demon or whatever it was, manifested as a creepy nun. I think at one point during the movie, I was just bored enough to work on the plot for my next book!!
  • Theres nothing in this movie that has not been done before, and done better. James Wan should know better. It feels like he just copied and pasted a bunch of crap together into a script and made the characters and time fit into it for the film. No bueno! I was not impressed.


On a more personal note..... I can't wear these headphones all of the time at work!! It's not realistic to have them on all day. I know the phone rings through them, but I am a social person! I need to hear the conversations around me.  So, today, I came up with this genius idea and turned the volume up almost all of the way and used my envelope sorter to hold them. Made sense to me!! It was pretty awesome! I just might be a genius!! Rocket got to spend some time in the back garden today. He hung out in the grass for about 5 whole minutes!
SaveSave
SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment