About the blog:

Well, hello!
Thanks for stopping by to read my opinions about movies that I see. Some are older and most are new. Some I go to see in the theaters (both live performances and movies) and some I watch from the comfort of my own couch and even more, I will watch from the amazing Netflix app.
Of course, these will be my personal thoughts about the targeted item, however, it will give you an idea of whether it's a colossal waste of time or worth a shot!

Friday, May 30, 2008

The Strangers


MY RATING: 9

GENERAL INFORMATION
Release Info: 30 May 2008
Genre: Horror, Mystery, Thriller
Writer and Director: Bryan Bertino
Running Time: 86 Minutes
Staring: Scott Speedman and Liv Tyler
Rating? R
SPOILERS? YES

STORYLINE
A young couple staying in an isolated vacation home are terrorized by three unknown assailants.

MY REVIEW
I truly appreciated the horror of this movie. Yes, this is a MAJOR spoiler in the first few sentences, but I LOVE it when the bad guy wins. I mean seriously, life is not all about the good overpowering the bad. It's messy and complicated and sometimes, the bad guys win. I love a good scary movie, but most are built on the idea of things that I don't believe in such as ghost and monsters. THIS movie is the epitome of what we should be afraid of.. the other humans on the planet. Man's inhumanity to man. The most dangerous game.

DIRECTION-
CINEMATOGRAPHY-
WRITING-
EDITING-
COSTUME DESIGN-
SET DESIGN-
SCORE/SOUNDTRACK-

What I DID LIKE about this movie:
  • X
  • X
  • X
What I DID NOT LIKE about this movie:
  • X
  • X
  • X
What QUESTIONS do I now have?
  • X
On a more personal note..... 
XX



So we have Kristen {Liv Tyler} and James {Scott 
Speedman}who are having some sort of couple issue and decide to go to this summer house in the middle of nowhere to work on it. That's where this goes all psychologically disturbing for me. The Strangers delivered a strong punch in the gut for the messed up pieces inside each of us who are always wondering what's the worst that could happen.

What I DID LIKE about this movie:
  • Cat and mouse game at it's finest. I absolutely love the subtlety of the scares that the main characters don't see!
  • I love movies where the scenes are basically told through non-verbal emotions and settings. This was done quite well. 
  • Sound, design, cinematography and just overall direction of this movie were well accomplished!
  • Awkward moments in the first 20 minutes or so with Kristen and James are realistic and amazing.
  • In this day where anything can happen, "Because you were home" was the best line of the movie.
What I DID NOT LIKE about this movie:
  • Some of the unrealistic spots. Just kinda left the door open for plot holes!
On a more personal note.....   These guys! Teddy (Grey Maine Coon) and Spotty Joe were pretty ridiculous;y adorable today!

No comments:

Post a Comment