About the blog:

Well, hello!
Thanks for stopping by to read my opinions about movies that I see. Some are older and most are new. Some I go to see in the theaters (both live performances and movies) and some I watch from the comfort of my own couch and even more, I will watch from the amazing Netflix app.
Of course, these will be my personal thoughts about the targeted item, however, it will give you an idea of whether it's a colossal waste of time or worth a shot!

Friday, February 23, 2018

Annihilation

GENERAL INFORMATION


Release Info: 23 Feb 2018
Director: Alex Garland
Writer:Alex Garland and Jeff VanderMeer
Running Time: 1 Hour and 55 Minutes
Rating? R
SPOILERS? NO 

REVIEWS
MY RATING: 4

STORYLINE
A biologist signs up for a dangerous, secret expedition into a mysterious zone where the laws of nature do not apply.

MY REVIEW
My first thought was that I needed to watch this movie again but I really just don't want to.  I just don't know what this movie thought that it was. It wasn't suspense, horror, sci-fi, action.. It didn't fit into any bucket of common connectivity to a specific genre.  Realistically, at the end I just didn't care.

I understand that they might have been going for artistic license, but this was a tad bit shy of the line, It missed the bar.

What I DID LIKE about this movie:
  • The CGI was pretty good. It's standard at best, but it was a good part of the movie. 
  • Production quality. Its sad that the pieces of this movie that I liked the most are the background pieces.
What I DID NOT LIKE about this movie:
  • I was expecting a mid-bending romp through an alternate reality in the "shimmer" from the trailers. What I for was a hoping for was an existential plot that would make me question my own reality. I mean, Jeff Garland was responsible for Ex Machina {Link to my review}that I found to be absolute perfection. What I got was a slow burn that never quite ignited. 
  • Mentioned this already, tonally, this was a hot mess. This movie just didn't know what it wanted to be. The story and delivery were muddy at best. It was as if the writers took a smoke break and let someone else finish.
  • This was an R RATED movie. Why the hell did all the flashback sex scenes have little nudity or sex for that matter? 
What QUESTIONS do I now have?
  • So a bunch of TRAINED MARINES went in and all dies, so let's send in the lady scientists? Yeah, that made sense.

SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment