About the blog:

Well, hello!
Thanks for stopping by to read my opinions about movies that I see. Some are older and most are new. Some I go to see in the theaters (both live performances and movies) and some I watch from the comfort of my own couch and even more, I will watch from the amazing Netflix app.
Of course, these will be my personal thoughts about the targeted item, however, it will give you an idea of whether it's a colossal waste of time or worth a shot!

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Get Out

GENERAL INFORMATION
Release Info: 24 February 2017
     Watched on Demand 29 April 2017
Writer and Director: Jordan Peele
Running Time: 1 Hour and 44 Minutes
Rating? R
SPOILERS? NO!!

REVIEWS

STORYLINE
A young black man visits his white girlfriend's family estate where he learns that many of its residents, who are black, have gone missing, and he soon learns the horrible truth when a fellow black man on the estate warns him to "get out". He soon learns this is easier said than done.


MY REVIEW
I was skeptical about this movie at first based solely on the idea that modern movies that are touted as horror typically fall off track and fail me. This was not that movie. Jordan Peele both wrote and directed this atypical mystery horror that was light on the horror to the point of nonexistent and heavy on the mystery thriller. This hit a majority of the buttons for me with a few iffy moments.

What I DID LIKE about this movie:
  • Theme/ Social Commentary- This should spark heavy on the conversational side for watchers, I can assume. This movie is not about making white people feel uncomfortable, this is a film that digs heavy into the idea that everyone wants what someone else has and will stop at nothing to take.
  • Writing- Jordan Peele, sir, this is a work of art. The short bursts of storytelling that were masterfully stung together by simple threads that the watcher sees stitched together in a way that brings the story to life and fleshes out the most intriguing plot that I've seen in a while.
  • Music- From the very firs scene, the musical choices were unsettling to say the least. They were perfection.
  • Cinematography- There are some brilliantly shot scenes here that really draw your eye into the locations. The scenery becomes a character that is hard to ignore although it has no lines.
What I DID NOT LIKE about this movie:
  • This was NOT a horror film. I was expecting one and that's not what I got. The only real issue that I had is that this movie seems to change it's mind about what it wants to be a few too many times. I mean it wasn't a deal-breaker in the slightest, but it was just a little odd.
  • Some of the acting was a little one the top in both performance and writing. The father, played by Bradley Whitford was annoying and less interesting than i would assume they intended.
  • A little similar to Skeleton Key.
On a more personal note..... So, last week, we went to Star Wars Celebration in Orlando for 4 days. Here are a few snaps... I did find my people though, Horror and Star Wars Mash up!!

SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment