About the blog:

Well, hello!
Thanks for stopping by to read my opinions about movies that I see. Some are older and most are new. Some I go to see in the theaters (both live performances and movies) and some I watch from the comfort of my own couch and even more, I will watch from the amazing Netflix app.
Of course, these will be my personal thoughts about the targeted item, however, it will give you an idea of whether it's a colossal waste of time or worth a shot!

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Rigoletto

GENERAL INFORMATION
View Date and Location: 30 Jan 2013 Live from the Metropolitan Opera House
Premiere Date: Venice, Italy 11 March 1851
Language: Italian
Composer: Giuseppe Verdi
Director: Michael Mayer

REVIEWS
MY RATING: 8

STORYLINE
Originally set in 16th century Mantova, Italy in the house of the Duke. Rigoletto is a jester in the Duke's court. The Duke is a ladies man who feels meaningless if he can't chase women. He's got eyes for young Gilda, the daughter of Rigoletto. There are curses, more affairs,  and finally to humiliate Rogoletto, the Duke and his entourage kidnap Gilda. Rigoletto hires a thief, Sparafucile and his sister Maddalena, who he hires to murder the Duke. But, in a twist, Maddalena falls for the duke and begs her brother not to kill him but kill the first person home comes into the door. He says no but eventually agrees. It's Gilda who comes in and is nearly killed by Sparafucile who wraps her in a rug and delivers her to Rigoletto. Thinking he's gotten vengeance, he paddles to dispose of the body, then realizes it's his own daughter who is dying. Que heartbreaking song and she dies. Rigoletto's curse comes to pass.

MY REVIEW
I love Michael Mayers concept of setting Rigoletto in the decadent 50's Las Vegas. It was a real treat to see the showgirls and dancing suits looking a lot like the Rat Pack. I love that I got to sit in the theater with my good friend Lisa and really enjoy this Opera. Love love love!!


No comments:

Post a Comment