About the blog:

Well, hello!
Thanks for stopping by to read my opinions about movies that I see. Some are older and most are new. Some I go to see in the theaters (both live performances and movies) and some I watch from the comfort of my own couch and even more, I will watch from the amazing Netflix app.
Of course, these will be my personal thoughts about the targeted item, however, it will give you an idea of whether it's a colossal waste of time or worth a shot!

Saturday, April 25, 2009

The House of the Devil

GENERAL INFORMATION
Release Info: 25 April 2009
Writer and Director:Ti West
Running Time: 95 Minutes
Rating? R
SPOILERS? NO

REVIEWS
IMDB: 6 of 10
MY RATING: 7

STORYLINE
College student Samantha Hughes takes a strange babysitting job that coincides with a full lunar eclipse. She slowly realizes her clients harbor a terrifying secret.

MY REVIEW
I had a friend at work tell me that this was a decent movie that they thought I would likely enjoy. I did. Thanks J. :)

This really did have a feel that seemed classic as well as new. While it is the seemingly classic story regarding the "girl next door" to me that's where it ends. While the viewer seems to be able to make some of the calls on what may or might not happen, it seems not so much like the old standard of yelling at the main character to not do something because you really want her to go in and do stuff!

What I DID LIKE about this movie:
  • AMBIANCE/CINEMATOGRAPHY- Intense is really all I can say about this movie. There is an unsettling feeling that looms heavy throughout the whole piece. The score builds and continues to create a sense of uneasy wonder that sticks you directly in the gut.
  • STORY- It's not a slasher type horror movie, and it's not the typical psychological thriller. It's simple horror that seems different. The story will stay with you for a while. It's a slow build, but worth the wait.
What I DID NOT LIKE about this movie:
  • ACTING- Okay, so I admit the acting is a bit underwhelming. It's true. But this is a horror flick and if you're expecting Oscar winning performances, this is not that.
  • FINAL ACT- Could have been a bit more climactic. Let me wanting a little more.

No comments:

Post a Comment