About the blog:

Well, hello!
Thanks for stopping by to read my opinions about movies that I see. Some are older and most are new. Some I go to see in the theaters (both live performances and movies) and some I watch from the comfort of my own couch and even more, I will watch from the amazing Netflix app.
Of course, these will be my personal thoughts about the targeted item, however, it will give you an idea of whether it's a colossal waste of time or worth a shot!

Thursday, January 16, 2020

Knives Out

MY RATING: 9
Knives Out (2019)

GENERAL INFORMATION
Release Info:  27 November 2019 
Watched 16 Jan 2020
Genre: Comedy, Crime, Drama
Writer and Director:  Rian Johnson
Running Time: 2 Hours and 10 Minutes
Rating? PG-13
SPOILERS? NO 

STORYLINE
When renowned crime novelist Harlan Thrombey (Christopher Plummer) is found dead at his estate just after his 85th birthday, the inquisitive and debonair Detective Benoit Blanc (Daniel Craig) is mysteriously enlisted to investigate. From Harlan's dysfunctional family to his devoted staff, Blanc sifts through a web of red herrings and self-serving lies to uncover the truth behind Harlan's untimely death. Written by Lionsgate


MY REVIEW
Oddly, I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't hate this movie. I was ready do hate it. But, I do L O V E Rian Johnson and the idea that he wrote and directed along with the cast of insanely talented artists. I'll be honest, I didn't go see it in the theater, so I waited for it to be on iTunes movies and did what I do best. Watch it at home from the comfort of my own couch with a cat on my lap. My review will explain why, but yes, this is a good movie. I settled on a  9, which I feel might be generous. Please continue reading to understand why I went that high.


What I DID LIKE about this movie:
  • Rian Johnson. I should just write you a love note here. Direction, cinematography, writing, editing, flow. You, sir, are a genius. This was a beautifully complicated movie.  I remember watching Hercule Poirot and Agatha Christie growing up and this felt reminiscent to those older films. It came across as nostalgic, even through it was modern.
  • Chris Evan's sweater. Enough said
  • While the story itself was easy to follow, I missed a LOT of things that I should have caught. As someone who typically figures out the end WELL before the the reveal, I enjoyed being almost there.
What I DID NOT LIKE about this movie:
  • Daniel Craigs accent. I COULD not take him seriously. It did pull me out of the magic of the movie a few times. I just couldn't get past it.
  • Twisted plot that sometimes leaves the watcher trying too hard to make sense of the plot holes.
  • Social message was a bit overdone, but not enough to detract from the overall idea of the movie.
On a more personal note..... 
Tons of Selfies. It was my friend Missy's daughters 2nd Birthday. Oliver was adorable. Dexter Morgan thought he belonged on a shelf in the office.


No comments:

Post a Comment