About the blog:

Well, hello!
Thanks for stopping by to read my opinions about movies that I see. Some are older and most are new. Some I go to see in the theaters (both live performances and movies) and some I watch from the comfort of my own couch and even more, I will watch from the amazing Netflix app.
Of course, these will be my personal thoughts about the targeted item, however, it will give you an idea of whether it's a colossal waste of time or worth a shot!

Saturday, March 23, 2019

Us

RATINGS
IMDB: 7.4 of 10
MY RATING: 9

GENERAL INFORMATION
Release Info: 22 March 2019
Genre: Horror, Thriller
Director/ Writer: Jordan Peele
Running Time: 1 Hour and 56 Minutes
Rating? R
SPOILERS? NO

STORYLINE
In order to get away from their busy lives, the Wilson family takes a vacation to Santa Cruz, CA with the plan of spending time with their friends, the Tylers. On a day at the beach, their young son Jason wanders off, causing mother Adelaide to become protective over her family. That night, four mysterious people arrive at the Wilson's, which just so happens to be Adelaide's childhood home. The family is shocked to find out that the intruders look like them, only with grotesque appearances.

MY REVIEW
What a movie. I am a HUGE fan of the horror genre and I must admit that Jordan Peele is a horror visionary. There was more to this movie that your average slasher horror flick. The story is original, which is a huge plus when the plot of most movies these days is heavily recycled or even a retelling.

Jordan Peele got high marks from me for his 2017 hit Get Out, link to my review. This one makes you think and that to me, is the true epic thing for a movie to do. I want to leave and question my own reality and boy did I have a lot to ponder. I sat quietly for a while after to let it all sink in and THERE was a lot to think about. There is a low level undertone on social commentary and the real deeper meaning that IS the monster in all of us. Good and bad are tenuous. We are what we are and the idea that someone is all good or all bad is laughable at best.

What I DID LIKE about this movie:
  • I can't say enough about Lupita Nyong'o. She IS the star of this film. Her performance is more than terrifying. Any actor who can not only take on a dual role but make the viewer believe that they are watching a second person is amazing.
  • Soundtrack was a masterpiece!  I Got 5 On It.. was singing along in the theater. Brings back old times. Love this song and yes, it's about drugs! Ha ha!o
  • Whoever decided on the red jumpsuit, tan driving gloves and the oversized shears, you sir, are a genius!
  • The little injections of comedy were sublime!
What I DID NOT LIKE about this movie:
  • The voices. It was scary and unnerving, but it kinda threw me off.
  • What was with the rabbits?
What Other stuff can I say that's not really a review?
  • The movie also stars Cali and Noelle Sheldon, the twins who played Emma Gellar-Green, the daughter of Ross and Rachel on Friends. 
  • The film has a scheme set in 1987. Several key scenes are shot at the Santa Cruz Boardwalk, the same as the film The Lost Boys. There is a reference in the movie where young Adelaide's mother says "You know, they're shooting a movie over there by the carousel."
On a more personal note..... 
Had some time at the salon this week. I had the best of intentions to get a cut and color and failed on both fronts.I got a trim and no change of color. BUT, why mess with perfection!! Then there's my little guy Dexter Morgan. He's pretty handsome! He gets confused with string and wants to play with it, but doesn't know what to do!! Then, my 4 gentlemen decided to lay on the couch with me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment