About the blog:

Well, hello!
Thanks for stopping by to read my opinions about movies that I see. Some are older and most are new. Some I go to see in the theaters (both live performances and movies) and some I watch from the comfort of my own couch and even more, I will watch from the amazing Netflix app.
Of course, these will be my personal thoughts about the targeted item, however, it will give you an idea of whether it's a colossal waste of time or worth a shot!

Saturday, October 27, 2018

Halloween 2018

GENERAL INFORMATION
Release Info: 19 October 2018
Watched at Lynnhaven Mall AMC Theaters 
Genre: Horror, Thriller
Director: David Gordon Green
Writer: David Gordon Green and Danny McBride
Running Time: 1 Hour and 46 Minutes
Rating? R, a very hard R.
SPOILERS? NO

REVIEWS
IMDB: 7.3 of 10
MY RATING: 8 of 10

STORYLINE
Laurie Strode comes to her final confrontation with Michael Myers, the Shape, the masked figure who has haunted her since she narrowly escaped his killing spree on Halloween night four decades ago.

MY REVIEW
I've been waiting for this movie be filmed for longer than the concept has been around. I had high hopes and I personally feel that it lived up to most of my preconceived notions. This, for me, was a perfect next step to the Halloween brand. Let's face it, some of those in the middle weren't even remotely good. Laurie Strode got her day. End of story. There is a sombre journey of reality that this movie takes the watches down a path to see what someone who is affected by such trauma would have to traverse. Haunting. Halloween 2018 does a great job delivering the goods. It's not perfect and I really had to convince myself that an 8 was right.

The writer had very few credits that I'd ever heard of and I could only hope that he was a Halloween fan and would stay true to the story to do us justice. It was obvious that he had a lot of EP credentials as the script was written in a way that seemed fit for this awesome task. The fact that he paired with Danny McBride who injected his fun sense of humor into some pivotal scenes was a great nod to his direction abilities.

What I DID LIKE about this movie:
  • That music though! I hear that music and I get chills.
  • Oh, Jamie Lee Curtis, all of those yogurt commercials made you amazing!
  • Even the cliches worked for this movie. There were cliches, not gonna lie.
  • Opening and closing credits were stylized to look like the original 1978 version.
  • Have to note that I did enjoy the little dig at the non-fans who thought that Laurie was Michael's sister. They set that one straight pretty quickly.
  • The perfection that was the Michael Myers 2018 mask. It's 40 years old and the set design folks who created this gem should all get an extra coupl'a dollars. This was fantastic. It's aged is all of the places it should have been and the hair is matted down like it was supposed to look after having been in an evidence locker for so long.
What I DID NOT LIKE about this movie:
  • Pretty slow to get started. It was definitely a slow burn that got you waiting for the "thing" to happen and when it did, it peaked a bit too early. The final act seems to peak too soon and left me wanting more at the end.
  • There were a lot of themes that were packed into this movie. It was a film that deals with the psychosis of trauma, revenge, teen relationship drama, babysitter slasher and a little bit of a comedy. I think the story would have been furthered if they had let some of the side stories go.
What QUESTIONS do I now have?
  • That ending though? Was that NOT a textbook setup for a sequel? 

On a more personal note..... 
So, apparently between now and the last time I was at Lynnhaven AMC< the finished the new theater with recliners and some really amazing Dolby Surround Sound! Also, working on my Halloween costume. Should be pretty obvious what I am planning on being!


No comments:

Post a Comment