About the blog:

Well, hello!
Thanks for stopping by to read my opinions about movies that I see. Some are older and most are new. Some I go to see in the theaters (both live performances and movies) and some I watch from the comfort of my own couch and even more, I will watch from the amazing Netflix app.
Of course, these will be my personal thoughts about the targeted item, however, it will give you an idea of whether it's a colossal waste of time or worth a shot!

Saturday, June 30, 2018

Sicario: Day of the Soldado

GENERAL INFORMATION
Release Info: 29 June 2018
Director: Stefano Sollima
Writer: Taylor Sheridan
Running Time: 2 Hours and 2 Minutes
Rating? R
SPOILERS? NO

REVIEWS
IMDB: 7.5 of 10
MY RATING: 8

STORYLINE
The drug war on the US-Mexico border has escalated as the cartels have begun trafficking terrorists across the US border. To fight the war, federal agent Matt Graver (Josh Brolin) re-teams with the mercurial Alejandro (Benicio Del Toro).

MY REVIEW
Refer to my review of Sicario. I really loved that movie and had high hopes for this one. What had me worried? Well, the original director, Denis Villeneuve was amazing and I think he brought a lot to the movie. This director, Stefano Sollima, is new to me and his repertoire is basically Spanish language writing and directing.  BUT, Taylor Sheridan reprises his role as writer. His long credit list speaks for itself as both a writer, actor and a director.

This movie was a hit on almost all levels for me. The subtle score, the settings and the general idea of the story. It was intriguing and poignant. We're in a world where terrorism is now a daily occurrence and the things that we have to do may not always seem right or even just, but  sometimes the ends justify the means and sometimes they do not. This movie puts your brain to work and makes you think. I love when movies treat me like I know what the hell is going on and not spoon-feed me the story. I have a fucking brain. Great job on that.

What I DID LIKE about this movie:
  • The Brolin/Del Toro combination is on FIRE! They play off of each other so well and the fact that they are uniquely different just makes it that much better. 
  • This movie is intense. There are so many things that you just want to be mad at in this film as a human. 
  • What movie aficionado would NOT just love the cinematography in this movie? The wide shots on the dead terrain on the other side of the border were brilliant.
  • The violence is exactly what is needed in a movie like this. It would have felt less real. 
What I DID NOT LIKE about this movie:
  • Some basics of the plot I found to be a little less thought out. There were times when as a viewer, I couldn't really tell if the action and sub-action were in the same time period, near each other or days apart.
  • There are a few things hat stick out as just off. I don't want to give you all of the pieces, but fi I saw it, you guys will.
On a more personal note..... 
Wore a Hiscox USA T-Shirt to work. Realized that Jinx has become a little too used to sitting on the bookshelf in my office.

No comments:

Post a Comment