About the blog:

Well, hello!
Thanks for stopping by to read my opinions about movies that I see. Some are older and most are new. Some I go to see in the theaters (both live performances and movies) and some I watch from the comfort of my own couch and even more, I will watch from the amazing Netflix app.
Of course, these will be my personal thoughts about the targeted item, however, it will give you an idea of whether it's a colossal waste of time or worth a shot!

Saturday, January 21, 2017

Split

GENERAL INFORMATION
Release Info: 20 January 2017 (Saw it on the 21st)
Writer and Director: M. Night Shyamalan
Running Time: 1 Hour and 57 Minutes
Rating? PG-13
SPOILERS? NO

REVIEWS

STORYLINE
After three girls are kidnapped by  a man with 24 distinct personalities they must find some of the different personalities who can help them while running away and staying alive from the others.

MY REVIEW
I was a little hesitant about this movie. It looked like it would be awesome but it's rated PG-13 and I SERIOUSLY doubt the level of awesome a movie can be when it's rated less than an R. And while I did love M. Night's Signs and The Village, after those, his movies have left me wanting more out of him. I was hoping that this would redeem him in my eyes and it did. This is a physiologically intense and thought provoking movie that should be seen if you enjoy this type of movie. Lose the horror tag thought, that's NOT what this movie is about!

What I DID LIKE about this movie:
  • James McAvoy is amazing. His portrayal of unique characters is intense and well directed. He not only makes the movie, but I think that this was quite possibly his best ever performance. 
  • The traditional Shyamalan twist. Well done Sir. Well done!
  • Twisty back story of the young girl Casey, played so well by young Ana Taylor-Joy from The Witch and Morgan. She was really the only thing that kept the scenes without McAvoy moving.
  • Cinematography!! This was shot by Mike Gioulakis, from It Follows. Beautiful. No other words needed.
What I DID NOT LIKE about this movie:
  • The other two kidnapped girls? Why were they even there? They brought little to NOTHING to the story and their acting was pretty shit-tastic anyway!
  • It does get a wee bit repetitive but it's not enough to take me out of the experience.


On a more personal note..... Went to a new theater a little further from the house because I heard they had recliners! Well, that was an awesome idea! Plus, I put a little candy in my purse and a sippycup with some wine. Made for a fantastic movie experience! 

SaveSave

1 comment: