About the blog:

Well, hello!
Thanks for stopping by to read my opinions about movies that I see. Some are older and most are new. Some I go to see in the theaters (both live performances and movies) and some I watch from the comfort of my own couch and even more, I will watch from the amazing Netflix app.
Of course, these will be my personal thoughts about the targeted item, however, it will give you an idea of whether it's a colossal waste of time or worth a shot!

Friday, April 11, 2014

Oculus


GENERAL INFORMATION
Release Info: 11 Apr 2014
Running Time: 104 Minutes
Staring:  karen Gillam, Brenton Thwaites, Katee Sackhoff
Rating? R
SPOILERS? YES

REVIEWS
IMDB: 6.5 of 10 Link
Rotten Tomatoes: Critics: 73% Audience: 52% Link
MY RATING: 7

STORYLINE
A woman tried to exonerate her brother who was convicted of murder by proving that the crime was committed by a supernatural phenemonon.

MY REVIEW:
I did like this movie. 7 of 10 is pretty good on my scale but still just a little above center.

We follow one young woman, Kaylie {Karen Gillan} and her brother Tim {Brenton Thwaites} while they try to destroy a supposed haunted antique mirror whom she blames for the loss of both parents  {Katee Sackhoff and Rory Cochrane} while they were kids and that Tim was accused and convicted of murdering.

We are taken to two parallel movies; one that shows the lives of Katlie and Tim with their parents as children and one where we see them in the present time with the mirror. At times, the transitions seem either useless or a wee bit ridiculous for my tastes.

Although the story of a possessed object is pretty typical but this one felt pretty different. Direction was pretty good and the acting was well done. They were able to create an eerie atmosphere and was richly needed.

What I really did't like are the overused cliches that exist. There was a little too much of the monster-y feel in some cases and not enough of the true scares in others.

I did like that they left it open for a sequel! 

No comments:

Post a Comment